Disabled adaptations

Aids and adaptations leaflet If you or members of your family have mobility problems, you may be eligible for adaptations to your property to enable you to carry on living independently in your home. You can contact an occupational therapist to carry out an assessment of your needs. Homeworks staff are trained to carry out works recommended by the occupational therapist, normally within 30 days. In most cases we will pay for minor adaptations but for major adaptations you may be eligible for a grant.

Aids and adaptations are changes to your home to help you get around more easily. We know that your needs can change. Click the front cover to read our leaflet.  

If you have a disability or you have problems getting around, your home may need adapting to meet your needs.

We'll make suitable changes to your home to make it easier for you to live in.

They can range from simple things such as grab rails to help you out of the bath, to ramps to your front door and showers that are the same level as the floor to make them easier to get in and out of. Aids and adaptations could even include larger changes such as a stairlift.

What happens if I need an adaptation in my home?

If you, or someone you live with, think you need an adaptation in your home, an occupational therapist will assess your needs.

You will need to arrange this with your local council's occupational therapy team.

  • Tower Hamlets: 020 7364 5948
  • Hackney: 020 8356 6262
  • Newham: 020 8430 2000

Occupational therapists are specially trained and can assess your needs properly.

Our staff aren’t trained to do these kind of assessments.

What work will we do?

We will carry out the work recommended by the occupational therapist to make it easier for you to get around at home.

We can usually carry out small adaptations within 30 days.

Major work (such as putting in a stairlift) may take several months, depending on how long it takes to process your application and the type of work that is needed.

When the occupational therapy team lets us know what work we need to do, we will write to them with our response and send you a copy of our letter so you know what is happening.

We will only refuse to carry out work in very unusual circumstances, for example, if we think the work will damage the building your home is in.

How is the work paid for?

In most cases, we will pay for small changes to your home.

If an occupational therapist has recommended work we will apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local council for you.

What if you're not happy with the service you receive?

If you are not happy with the way the occupational therapy team is assessing your needs or how your application for a Disabled Facilities Grant is being dealt with, you should complain to your council.

If you are not happy with the way we have handled your request, please contact our Customer Services Manager on 020 8709 4300.

If you are still not satisfied, please follow our complaints process.

Who will look after the aids and adaptations?

Once any new aids or adaptations have been fitted in your home, we will usually look after them.

We may charge you for this through a service charge.