Gateway Housing has been supporting communities to thrive since 1926.
Gateway Housing Association is an ambitious housing association with 3,000 homes in the heart of London’s East End.
We operate mostly in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets but we have some properties in Hackney and Newham. These are made up of social rented homes, shared ownership homes and sheltered housing.
Developing new homes is also a priority for us, and our exciting programme is on course to deliver 500 new homes by 2020.
We also run our own in-house maintenance service, Gateway Homeworks.
Our focus is on 'supporting communities to thrive'. That's why we invest so much in community projects for our resident groups and young people each year, making us so much more than a landlord.
We're the biggest provider of sheltered housing in Tower Hamlets, and we were the first registered provider of older persons’ shared ownership in the borough.
Residents are at the heart of all we do, and our dedicated Scrutiny Improvement Panel is leading the way in resident feedback.
Our digital training suite, The Zone, helps us to deliver our STEP (Support to Employment Programme) for local people.
We provide support for our residents impacted by Welfare Reform through our in-house welfare and income support team and partnership agencies.
Our commitment to helping residents with welfare support and gaining sustainable employment has been recognised nationally with our being shortlisted in 2018 for the 24Housing Welfare Wise Awards.
How we started
Gateway began life as Bethnal Green Housing Association in 1926, our first scheme at Queen Margaret flats was opened in 1929 and we still own and manage those flats today.
Over the following 70 years, Bethnal Green HA continued to grow and following a series of mergers with other East London based Housing Associations we changed our name to Gateway Housing Association in 2008.
The name Gateway is a reflection of:
- our belief that decent affordable housing is the gateway into a good quality of life for people on below average incomes;
- Tower Hamlets having traditionally been a ‘gateway’ for migrant communities entering the UK;
- Gateway Housing operating in East London which forms part of the Thames Gateway region.
We believe that Gateway has a special role to play in supporting local communities to thrive; we want people to come to Gateway because we have a reputation for having the best homes, the best services, inspirational impact in communities, as well as being a great place to work where staff are supported and valued.
By 2020 we aim to:
- Deliver a consistently great service
- Be the local market leader for contemporary and high-quality models of housing and support for older people
- Build 500 new homes, expanding into the East London sub-region
- ‘Make 5000 lives better’
- Have a great team of people, making Gateway a great place to work
- Remain financially strong and business efficient