Gateway Housing - over 85 years of history!
Gateway began life as Bethnal Green Housing Association in 1926, our first scheme at Queen Margaret flats was opened in 1929 and we still own and manage those flats today.
Over the following 70 years, Bethnal Green HA continued to grow and following a series of mergers with other East London based Housing Associations we changed our name to Gateway Housing Association in 2008.
The name Gateway is a reflection of:
- our belief that decent affordable housing is the gateway into a good quality of life for people on below average incomes;
- Tower Hamlets having traditionally been a ‘gateway’ for migrant communities entering the UK;
- Gateway Housing operating in East London which forms part of the Thames Gateway region.
We predominantly operate in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets but we have a small stock holding in Hackney and Newham. The majority of our 2800 homes is social rent.
We are uniquely the largest provider of sheltered housing in Tower Hamlets and were the first registered provider of older persons shared ownership in the borough, we also have two registered care homes for older persons and have the third largest stock-holding of social housing within the borough. We are particularly proud of our new build properties for leasehold, shared ownership and direct sale which is low density and high quality.
We have many positive attributes meeting our social purpose and vision of ‘supporting local communities to thrive’. This includes the investment we make each year into community projects for our resident groups and young people through the Community Chest grant fund and Environmental Improvements Grant.
‘Gateway Homeworks’ – our very own in-house repairs service was set up in 2015, offering residents a first-time quality fix. Our dedicated resident involvement team are leading the way in resident scrutiny and in 2014 we opened our exciting new digital training suite, ‘The Zone’. This will help to successfully deliver STEP (Support to Employment Programme) for local people, as well as being a focus for the provision of financial inclusion to support our residents impacted by Welfare Reform through our in-house Welfare Advisor and partnership agencies.
We also offer homes for market sale and shared ownership. You can view our homes for sale by visiting www.gatewayliving.org.uk
We believe that Gateway has a special role to play in supporting local communities to thrive; we want people to come to Gateway because we have a reputation for having the best homes, the best services, inspirational impact in communities, as well as being a great place to work where staff are supported and valued.
By 2020 we aim to:
- Deliver a consistently great service where ‘one call solves it all’ and ‘one click does the trick’.
- Be the local market leader for contemporary and high-quality models of housing, support and care for older people
- Build 500 new homes, expanding into the East London sub-region
- ‘Make 5000 lives better’
- Have a great team of people, making Gateway a great place to work
- Remain financially strong and business efficient