Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is coordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
As a Landlord, we ensure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. As a landlord that puts residents at the heart we’re committed to gas safety.
As part of this we:
- Maintain gas pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants in a safe condition.
- Provide an annual safety check for all gas appliances and flues provided for tenants’ use.
- Provide a Gas Safety Record within 28 days of completing safety checks or to any new tenant before they move in.
- We keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record until two further checks have taken place.
- We ensure maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
We've also created this useful video to support residents to safely use Valliant boilers:
Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineer is qualified to carry out the work that needs doing e.g. natural gas, domestic boiler. You can find this information on the Gas Safe Register website or by checking the back of the engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Encourage your tenants to also check the card when they arrive at the property.
For more information and to find or check an engineer visit GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
We do a lot to support the gas safety you can read more about our checks and your safety here: http://www.gatewayhousing.org.uk/gas-safety
Download our Gas Safety Leaflet for more information