Moving home

There are lots of reasons for wanting to move home. Your job may change, your family may grow or you may want independence from your family. We believe you should have every chance to move when you need to.

There are different ways for you to move you can:

  • Apply for a transfer to either a Gateway home or a partner landlord property or
  • Exchange with another tenant

Moving to another social housing home

If you are a Gateway tenant you can transfer to another one of our homes or a home provided by a London Borough of Tower Hamlets Common Housing Register Partner. To move home you will first have to be registered. You can register by completing an application form and returning it to Gateway.

An application form can be found in any One-Stop Shop or you can request one from Gateway.

If you’re not a Gateway tenant but a close relative of a Gateway tenant, you can register yourself to be included on the Housing Register by completing an application form and returning it to a One-Stop Shop.

Once you are registered, you can apply for homes advertised in East End Life or in the Tower Hamlets' One-Stop Shops.

For more information you can have a look at the Tower Hamlets Allocation Scheme.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is for people who are 60 or over. To apply for sheltered housing please complete an application form (available from any One-Stop Shop or Gateway) and return it to either Gateway if you are a tenant or any One-Stop Shop if you are not.

Contact our Lettings team on 020 8709 4300 for more information.

Exchanging with another tenant

You can also move by exchanging your home with another Gateway tenant, a council tenant, or a tenant of another housing association or council. This could be anywhere in the UK. This is called a mutual exchange. Mutual exchanges are done on an 'as seen' basis.

We are a member of an online mutual-exchange scheme called Homeswapper. You can register for free.

Ending your tenancy

You must tell us at least four weeks before you move out of your home. You must fill in a 'Notice of Termination of Tenancy' form which you can get from your housing officer. You can also find the form here

We want to re-let all our homes as quickly as possible. This could mean that we may show people around your home before you move out.

You must return all your keys (including meter cupboard keys) to us when you move out. If you do not, we will charge you if we need to change the locks.

Please make sure you do not leave anything behind and that you leave the property clean and tidy and in good condition. If it is damaged or needs redecorating, you may have to pay for us to put it right. We may also charge you if we have to store or remove any belongings you leave behind.

You must also make sure that you have cleared your rent account and do not owe us any money. Remember to tell the council and your gas, electricity, phone and water suppliers you have moved.

Please let us know your new address in case we need to contact you.

For more information contact our Lettings team on 020 8709 4300.