Buildings Insurance

Building Insurance

This page contains information on who is responsible for insurance in your building and how homeowners can make a claim. A full copy of the policy wording is available on request.

We provide building insurance to most of our homeowners. If Gateway is not the freeholder, your property may not be insured through this policy.

What does Gateway insure?

As your freeholder, we insure the structure of your home against damage caused by:

  • Fire, smoke, lightning, explosion, earthquake
  • Storm and flood
  • Escape of water or oil from fixed systems
  • Riots and civil commotion
  • Malicious damage
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Subsidence, heave, or landslip
  • Impact
  • Falling trees or aerials
  • Accidental damage
  • Property Owner's Liability
  • Terrorism

The structure of your home includes fixtures and fittings such as kitchen units and bathroom suites. It also includes covers for garages, greenhouses, sheds, and outbuildings, as well as patios, paved areas, and paths.

The excesses on the policy are the first £250 for each and every claim, increasing to £350 in respect of escape of water or oil and £1,000 for each property for subsidence claims.

How to make a claim

During office hours, please contact our insurance broker, Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited's claims department, on 01245 341200.

When you contact them, please give:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • The policy number is 22/RSL/10163A

In the event of an incident outside of office hours, you should take whatever action is necessary to prevent further damage. If the damage is catastrophic, where the cost of loss is likely to exceed £5,000, or where the property can no longer be occupied, please immediately contact 01245 341200.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance is essential to ensuring that your belongings are protected, but make sure the insurance you purchase covers flood damage. The replacement or repair of your personal possessions (including carpets) would not be covered by buildings insurance, so it’s important you arrange the necessary contents insurance cover.