Help with Finances

Help with finances

Help and support are available from the government for residents who are struggling with expenses associated with running their home alongside resources within the community

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

These short-term payments can help with your rent if you are having financial hardship. To get a DHP, you must be paying rent and receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs. Find out more on the Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)  page.

Council Tax Support

We can offer a cost reduction on your Council Tax depending on your circumstances. Find out about your options on the council tax benefits  page.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit  is a monthly payment to help with your living costs, including housing payments. It is managed by the government Department for Work and Pensions. You may be able eligible if you are:

  • On a low income 
  • Out of work

Housing Benefit

Most people who need help with housing payments should apply for Universal Credit. However, if you are exempt from claiming the rent element of Universal Credit and you have a liability to pay rent, you can make a new claim for Housing Benefits using Tower Hamlet's online form. 

Click here to complete the online form .

Benefits Calculator

You might be eligible for benefits that you are not claiming. Accessing every benefit you are eligible for can help you with your income. It can also open the door to other support like council tax reductions and reduced utility tariffs. Tower Hamlets' benefits calculator  will help you check your eligibility and show you how to apply for them.

How Can Gateway Help? 

If you have difficulties paying bills, are at risk of a financial crisis, or need advice and support with money matters, email