What you need to know

Disability Living Allowance– Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16-64 with long term health conditions or disabilities. If you are applying for the first time (or reach 16) you will have to apply for the new benefit.

If you are currently in receipt of DLA, you will be invited to make a new claim for PIP between now and October 2017. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact you for an assessment when you have to reapply. We understand that this process is behind schedule so most people on DLA will stay on that benefit for a while longer.

PIP is paid to help towards some of the extra costs arising from long term health conditions or disabilities. It is based on how a person’s condition affects them with daily living activities and/or mobility and is paid at either a standard rate or enhanced rate. It is not means-tested and it is payable to people who are both in and out of work.

Eligibility for PIP is assessed on a points system related to how someone carries out a range of daily living activities and/or mobility activities and you may need to attend a medical assessment.

 If you are over 64 and have care needs you may be eligible for Attendance Allowance. More information is available by searching www.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is money for people aged 16-64 who do not receive Statutory Sick Pay, but whose current health condition or disability restricts their ability to work. This includes both mental and physical health conditions and eligibility is based on a work capability assessment test.

If you already receive Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance or Income Support on the grounds of illness or disability, you will be re-assessed for ESA and be required to attend a Work Capability Assessment test. This is administered by JobCentre Plus.

For further information contact JobCentre Plus on: 0800 055 6688 or go to www.gov.uk and search ‘ESA’.


Further Information



Disability Organisations Online

www.real.org.uk or email answers@real.org.uk




If you have any welfare queries, please get in touch with Keith Mayger on 020 8709 4300 or email keith.mayger@gatewayhousing.org.uk