You’re more at risk from fire at night so it makes good sense to carry out a few quick and simple checks before you go to bed
- Close before you doze! Make sure all inside doors are closed as this stops a fire from spreading
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances (unless of course they’re designed to be left on, such as your fridge or freezer)
- Check your cooker is turned off
- Don’t run washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers or other appliances overnight
- Make sure you don’t leave phones, laptops, toys, e-bikes or e-scooters charging overnight
- If you have heaters, turn them off and put-up fireguards
- Put candles and cigarettes out properly
- Make sure exits are kept clear
- Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them.
Did you know?
Last year in England, 1,873* fires were connected to using washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers.
Want to know more?
Before you and your family go to bed, familiarisig yourself with some simple fire safety checks can save your life by protecting against fire. Please read Bedtime Checks by the London Fire Brigade to learn what to do to stay safe.