Turning off your water supply
Every house or flat should have one main stop valve which turns off the water in an emergency. These valves can be found:
- in a duct near the entrance to the house or flat;
- underneath the floorboards near the front door;
- underneath the kitchen sink or
- underneath the stairs in a cupboard.
Other valves which turn off individual appliances can be found:
- under the bath, basin or sink;
- in an airing cupboard or
- in a duct casing.
Check to see if a service valve is fitted on the supply pipe to the tap. If so, the water can be turned off temporarily. To turn off, turn the screw on the valve a quarter turn.